Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Severn, The Voice Of Our Children

Severn, The Voice Of Our Children is a French doco (I know, you woulda thunk Canadian, eh?) which looks to Severn Suzuki, 18 years after her rousing plea to the world leaders at a UN meeting on the environment in 1992. It is, of course, a very important topic, and it is certainly contemplated soberly. But I found it a bit rambly at times, and even, on one or two occasions, downright confusing. And while there were elements of hope, I left the film feeling defeated, and more than a little bit cynical. I guess that's the challenge of a good environmental doco: you don't want to celebrate the successes to a point that could too-easily assuage a too-complacent world nation. But if you focus a bit too much on the fuck-ups, you risk depressing the too-complacent world nation. Or maybe the point is, most people won't do a goddamned thing anyway. Supid consumers.. Fucking sheeple!! sigh. But you know.. thankfully some people are doing something - and some of those people were directly impacted by that little girl's speech. So I guess... keep up the good work, Severn! I, and the Earth, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment